Dawn Meats is committed to putting in place measures to mitigate against the potential impacts of climate change. We are conscious of the impact climate change may have across people, operations, logistics, assets, markets and finance. We continue to risk assess these areas looking at the impact extreme weather events may have. Our Engineering Design Team considers climate change adaptation during the design process to account for more extreme weather events, such as higher temperature or rainfall and we are committed to putting measures in place to offset these.
All sites are certified to the internationally recognised environment management standard ISO14001. Implementation of ISO14001 provides a framework for environmental management best practice to help an organisation.
Our Resource Management Vision:
- Adopt innovative technologies to reduce energy usage and improve efficiency, whilst maximising the use of renewable energy and cleaner, greener fuel.
- Improve water efficiency through management, design improvements, technologies and reuse strategies.
- Reduce waste and increase recycling rates year on year on each site and raise staff awareness about resource management.
- Enhance biodiversity at site level and protect high value conservation areas (HVCA) from our operations.
- Minimise environmental footprint and ensure compliance with relevant environmental legislation.
- Diminish the risk of pollution incidents and provide operation improvements to develop our business in a sustainable manner.
The business recognises that without appropriate management, our activities and in particular those of our supply chain have the potential to adversely affect biodiversity and ecosystem services. We believe the value of biodiversity is immeasurable. Biodiversity helps in the formation and maintenance of soil structure and the retention of moisture and nutrient levels. It protects water resources and through regulating water flow, reduces flood risk.
Ecosystems perform the vital function of recycling nutrients and play an important role in the breakdown and absorption of many pollutants created by human activities. They contribute to climate stability as vegetation influences climate at the macro and micro levels. We are committed to working with our supply chain and industry partners to ensure that eco-systems are protected in order that they can continue to deliver benefits for all of us.
Water Intensity Reduction
Energy Intensity Reduction
CO2 emission intensity reduction
Zero waste to landfill
Sustainable sourcing is defined by Dawn Meats as buying products and services taking into account environmental, social, ethical and economic aspects over the whole product or service lifecycle which best meet our customer needs.
Our mission is to provide consistent quality meat products from sustainable sources. We want our customers to enjoy meat that has been sourced responsibly and seek to only do business with suppliers who understand the nature of the products, materials and services they are supplying, and who recognise their responsibility to protect the environment and foster good relations with their employees and local communities. We will use our influence as a procurer of products and services to drive sustainable improvement throughout the supply chain
Our Sustainable Sourcing Vision
- Work in collaboration with suppliers to achieve continual improvement and common sustainable goals.
- Encourage practices that minimise environmental impact and reduce waste streams through implementation of lean principles.
- Maximise the amount of recycled material and reduce the amount of material that can’t be recycled in our packaging
- Maximise product shelf-life.
- Maximise the number of critical suppliers who are registered on Sedex and include sustainability criteria in all tenders from 2017.
- Target 50% of electricity from renewable sources by 2025.